This is another view of the Great Sound from Spanish Point at sunset. I think the foreground is the remnant of an old dock. This photo was taken two summers ago.
I’ve tried to work up four different photos tonight. None of them would work for me. So, I reached into the reserves and pulled out one of my early attempts at HDR. This sunset may look surreal, but that’s what it actually looked like! Truly amazing.
The wall in the foreground encloses my friends’ neighbor’s backyard in Spanish Point, Bermuda. It’s a great spot, and perfectly flat. I’d really like to set up a croquet set over there. I do wonder how long it would take for someone to have to go swimming after their ball though.
It’s odd how sometimes you just can’t get inspired to process any pictures. I’m sure I’ll return to the same photos in due course and be happy with the results. They probably won’t even look much different than they did tonight. I think I need to get out taking some more photos of Bermuda. It’s always easier to work on photos I’ve just taken. Any suggestions for shooting locations? You can let m know in the comments here or on my Facebook page.
This shot is from my friends’ house in Spanish Point, Bermuda and looks out across the Great Sound. I spent a good deal of my summer here after they moved in. I also took a ton of photos here and neglected the rest of the island. It’s tough not gravitating to this point at sunset as it’s perfectly located and seems to have unlimited vantage points and new angles to use. On top of this there’s always a beer or two available and the potential for spontaneous barbequing.
This image was created using one picture, shot in RAW format, rather than multiple images. I adjusted the exposure of the raw images to provide three images ranging from -2 to +2. Then I ran these through Photomatix before Photoshop where I used the Topaz Adjust to bump up the contrast and sharpen the image. I wish I could give you a sound reason why I used this method and not multiple exposures. But, it’s just because I used my multiple images and wasn’t happy with the results. There was far too much noise in the foreground and sky. So I started playing around with different methods and found this worked far better in this instance.